10 Quick Tips for Living Your Dream
Do you have a dream? I mean really. Do you have a passionate life goal that you constantly think about, dream about, work for?
You would be surprised by the number of people who have stopped dreaming, stopped believing in their dreams or the life they want to be living. Life has either beaten them down until they gave up, or they never really allowed themselves to dream.
Sometimes the only time people dream about a great and fabulous life is when they buy a lottery ticket and start fantasizing about what they’re going to do with all of that money.
Why is that? Why is it that so many people don’t dream anymore? When you’re young, you believe you can do and be anything you want and you know what? You were right. But sometime, somewhere, someone, maybe even your own mind, convinced you that it was impossible to be or do what you wanted and so you gave up.
If you are like me and have not given up on living the life of your dreams, here are 10 quick tips:
1. Don’t give into the fear – I believe this is possibly the number one thing that keeps people from living the life they want. Fear. It’s probably the dirtiest four letter word in existence. It holds people back. It convinces them not to try new things or attempt the seemingly impossible. Don’t give into it. The dirty secret fear holds is that when it’s confronted, it tends to diminish. One of my favorite quotes from Jon Acuff is, “When I become brave, I’ll let you know. Until then, I’m just going to do a lot of awesome things scared out of my mind.”
2. Make the right choices – We make hundreds of choices every day. Choose to make decisions that will inch you closer to your dreams, whether that is weight loss, fitness, health, finances, living somewhere new, etc. Every choice has a consequence. Choose wisely.
3. Talk positively to yourself – Every time a negative thought pops into your head, immediately stop it. I have heard some success coaches actually say out loud, “Delete that!” and then verbally replace that negative thought with a positive one. It may make you feel silly at first, but the mind is powerful. Make sure you are using it to your advantage.
4. Live a life of no regrets – My husband and I were listening to a Brian Tracy CD once and one question he said to ask yourself every day has stuck with us ever since. That question was this, “What one thing, if you did it today, would help you reach your goals?” Do that.
5. Don’t shy away from hard work – Many people use the excuse that they are too tired to work on their dreams. That’s baloney. Your dreams should be so big that they scare you and excite you all at the same time. Jim Rohn said to tell yourself, “I’m working full-time on my job and part-time on my fortune because profits lead to fortune.” Can you spare 10 to 15 hours a week to work on your fortune?
6. Live like you are already successful – In other words, ask yourself what does success feel like? What does success smell like? Wear the perfume. What does success look like? Dress the part. Go where successful people go and do what successful people do. I once worked for a man who was a multi-millionaire entrepreneur. He was working as a CPA for someone else and decided he was going to open his own CPA firm. He bought an expensive suit, leased an expensive car and went knocking on doors asking companies for their business. Within 5 years, he not only had a very successful CPA business, but he owned 10 other businesses as well and lived in the mansion of his dreams on a beautiful estate. He told me, “You have to act, look and believe you are a success and success will come to you.”
7. Kick down doors – If a door is closed, kick it down (figuratively, not literally). In other words, if there’s a roadblock in your way, figure out a way under, over, around or through it. Don’t give up. Water can wear a hole in a rock over time, not because of it’s power, but because of it’s persistence. Keep going.
8. Make yourself stand out from the crowd – Don’t strive to be like everyone else. Strive to be yourself. Nothing is as powerful as being you. If you do what everyone else is doing, you’ll get the same results as everyone else. If you strive to do what the successful people are doing, guess what? You’ll get those same results. Strive to be exceptional.
9. Share your gifts with others – Spread the wealth. Teach others what you know. Serve them. You will be surprised to find that the more you give, the more you get.
10. Allow yourself to dream big – Don’t talk yourself out of the future you want for yourself. Allow yourself to not only dream, but dream big, amazing things for yourself. Then set goals and get to work on achieving them.
You can live the life you’ve always dreamed of, you just have to believe you can and get to work on making it happen.