7 Reasons You Should Take Time Off
Do you take time off? Do you recharge and rest?
I just got back from a 4 day rest, recharge and reconnect stay at the beach and it was sorely needed.
The beach always recharges the batteries of my soul and refreshes me, which is just one more reason why I need to live at the beach all of the time. I can recharge my batteries every day!
I wrote a blog post a while back about why the beach is good for you and makes you happy. It’s true. Being at the beach with my kids is like heaven on earth for me. It is a totally blissful state of being.
We all need to take a break from our everyday routines. We need to get away from the daily grind and just reconnect with ourselves and our family.
Even when I reach my goal of living in Malibu, I will probably still vacation at the beach somewhere. Probably some place tropical and lush with crystal clear water.
We all need time to recharge our batteries. Some say that six weeks vacation a year is optimal. We don’t really get that here in the United States. We get 2 weeks paid vacation and are expected to be grateful for it. Europeans get 4 weeks of paid vacation plus holidays! I think they’re on to something.
Why should you recharge and take those vacations? Here are a few:
1. Stress Relief – I’ve blogged before about how stress can cause all sorts of health problems. Anything you can do to reduce the amount of stress in your life, you should do. A vacation is just one of the ways you can destress and relax your mind and body for optimal health.
2. You can help prevent heart disease – This goes along with the destressing. Stress causes high blood pressure and heart disease. When you destress, you lower your blood pressure and your chances of developing heart disease.
3. Refocus – When you take time away from your problems and your work, you are better able to refocus when you get back to it. You can look at work and your problems with fresh eyes and see new possibilities. When you continually work without breaks, you can become distracted and blocked. Vacations will reduce that feeling and open up your mind.
4. Happiness – Vacations make us happy! Stress hormones can contribute to anxiety and depression. When you vacation, you release stress and therefore, you are more prone to see things in a positive light and be happy.
5. Strengthen your relationships – Whether you are vacationing with your significant other or with the entire family, you are strengthening those bonds. You will create memories that will last a lifetime. Family bonding is priceless and some research suggests that kids who have a family vacation are better students.
6. Improved Sleep – You will sleep better when you don’t have stress. Sleep is when your body heals itself. When your stress levels decrease, you can get a better night’s sleep and when that happens, you will naturally see improved health.
7. More Productivity – Vacations make you more productive! It’s true! Studies have shown that the more vacations you take, the more productive you become. They also reduce the number of sick days people take. 70% of people feel more satisfied with their work when they take regular vacations and when people are satisfied and happy with their work, they are more productive.
Take time off to reconnect and enjoy life. Your health, your relationships and your work will reward you for it!